Image From Rachel Thurston Photography
I love this list called “20 Things To Do Before Getting Married.” Being me, I had to see how many of these I have accomplished, as if this could somehow measure my marital readiness. Not having a boyfriend? Small hiccup. I quickly realized I would fall pretty short using this measurement tool anyway. Regardless, I’m a total Type A and marking things off a To Do list makes me feel great. Here’s my best attempt.
1. Live by herself for at least a year.
2. Live with someone else for at least a year.
3. Recover from a broken heart.
4. Have a vacation fling.
5. Take a road-trip with a group of girlfriends.
6. Relish sleeping in a queen-sized bed by herself.
7. Get her finances in order.
8. Learn to love her body. (If I could make this more of a dashed or squiggly line, that’d probably be more accurate.)
9. Have sex with at least one person she’d never want to marry (or introduce to mom). (This one is marked off because I prefer not to play Russian Roulette with my life. )
10. Find reliable birth control. (AKA Abstinence)
11. Pay off as much credit card debt and student loans as possible.
12. Spend way too much on a something frivolous. (Or two frivolous somethings. Or three.)
13. Exorcise all past relationship demons.
14. Travel somewhere exotic.
15. Establish a strong circle of friends.
16. Forgive her parents for not being perfect.
17. Have at least one night she can’t quite remember.
18. Experience some really bad first dates.
19. Find hobbies that fulfill her.
20. Celebrate her 25th birthday.